July has just flown by. I can't believe I have been in Barcelona for now three weeks. It really has got me wondering where the time has gone. Luckily I am still enjoying my time in Spain; my internship is diverse and hence always interesting and I am loving wearing shorts and skirts every day. I recently discovered a group of expats in Barcelona through Facebook and WhatsApp and have met up with a small group of the girls for vegan tapas and drinks and am planning to meet up again soon!
My first few days here I did feel a little isolated and overwhelmed. Understandable since this is my first time living abroad by myself. However thanks to my great boss Silvia, and the group of girls I have now met from all over the world, I am feeling a lot more settled, confident and excited.
This being said, I decided to set myself monthly goals to make the most of my time in Barcelona (as well as a bucketlist of activities, eateries etc. which is in progress). Here's to a fun and fulfilling August!
August Goals 2016
- Join a gym
- This was something I had meant to do within the first week of moving to Barcelona, but have simply not got round to it. I have been to Zumba once with Silvia though, so I guess that's a start. But this week, I am going to join a gym and get back into a regular routine. I miss it.
- Improve my Spanish
- I really do want to pick up the language but know I could be doing more than I did in July. I have been using my Duolingo app almost daily, but have been encouraged to take a look at BBC Languages in addition for grammar and more in-depth teaching. My goal is to spend at least 15 minutes per day on either Duolingo, BBC Languages or both. Once I feel a little more confident, I may attend a language exchange one night however I still feel too clueless!
- Be brave
- Recently I have been feeling a little down and that my mind is my worst enemy. I'm usually a very positive person - an optimist I suppose. However moving to Barcelona was a huge change for me and one I am still adjusting to. I am enjoying my time here, but I want to push myself to try more activities independently and just explore more without stressing out or over-thinking as I tend to do. I want to feel brave and not scared at things I know really aren't that scary!
- Stay organised
- Using the Strikethru organisation technique in my new Leuchtturm1917 notebook since moving to Barcelona has definitely helped me feel less stressed and on top of everything. I am still working out how best to adapt the technique for myself to be productive and happy without worrying all the time, however it definitely feels like a step in the right direction and I am looking forward to sharing my experience with you once I feel more settled with it.
- Go to the beach by myself
- Something I have been wanting to do since before I booked my flights here. The idea of going to the beach alone does seem a little daunting (see Be brave), but also something I really want to try. Just a little unsure how I would feel leaving my belongings on the sand when I go for a swim (I love swimming in the sea) but maybe I could even hire a locker? Or just not take any valuables. We shall see!
What are your goals for August?